My mom when she last visited me.
Me and my mother’s feet
My lovely grandma (taken in Stanley Park)
No guys, I need to stop and talk about something in this movie and how fucking revolutionary it was; something that I haven’t seen in a movie before or since.
This is a movie about a kid who leaves her birth family.
Not a kid who find that they have a secret lineage or something that allows them to find their ‘true family’ – this is a movie about a kid whose true birth family is made up of bad people. So she gets out. And that is played as the right thing to do. She isn’t punished for it or made to feel bad about ‘abandoning her family’. There isn’t an underlying ‘but they’re your family and you have to love them’ or ‘they’re your family and they love you even if they don’t show it well or do hurtful things’ message of the kind that I see OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER in media. Matilda gets out and lives happily ever after because of it.
We need a million more movies like this to counter the metric shit ton of movies that directly counter this message.
My favourite pictures from Christmas 2012
- Feeling of Accomplishment (studying wise) (hopefully)
- Bubble Tea!
- Perhaps Pizza?
Through Exam Period
- Sushi with friends I haven’t seen in a while (ALL YOU CAN EAT FUN)
- Maybe Glee and pink lemonade with dinner after Biochem
- Eating a lot of chocolate, and feeling justified in doing so
- Lori is going to paint my finger nails like CANDY CANES, how great is that?
- Making use of some of those pi bucks AT LEAST getting a new book for the plane home
- Presents! Giving, Getting, Making
- Secret Craft Projects (for _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ _ )
- Seeing the Fam
- And Bethany!
- And Cranbrookians! (Grossmans, Jane + friends , Jordo and Dana, whoever else is around)
- And James + Fam
- Magic with James and Stephane and Johanna (and Annie and Clyde?)
- Finally get to play Mad Scientist University again
- perhaps enamelling?
- Games night with Juanita 🙂
- Some relaxation
- Getting the Tree with Daddy!
- Nail polish fun
- Creative Projects from my creative project list (including but not limited to photo organization and uploads, quote thing, more ordinary superhero comics, random article topics I’ve been saving up, and printing some photos)
- Girls night with Katie + Sora + Anita + Casey
- I’ll live next door to Sora and Anita and Casey!
- More time to visit Renison 🙂
- Magic with Kelvin, possibly tourny, possibly convince Sean to play
- Plan to see other friends: Haddie, Max, Ann, Jeff, Laura etc.
- Rockclimbing in Toronto
- Go visit JAMES FLYNN!
- Should probably make some plans with other on campus shads as well 😉
- Badminton with anyone who’s up for it
- NRG Marketing <3
- WIN Marketing <3
- Lots of Marketing <3
- Prezi tutorial for froshlings
- Probably will get to go to WIN seminars as a perk of my job at WIN =D
- More regular skype calls with Bethany/James/Jane
- Get cooking and chemistry going again (my attempt to encourage myself to cook by documenting it)
- More nerdfighterly things
- Get better at InDesign and Photoshop
- Perhaps write some letters, or poetry, or maybe the articles for tumblr are enough.
- TIME FOR READING AGAIN AHHHH!
- More stamp making
- I will live in an actual house 😀
Okay, now that I am overwhelmed by the amount of fun things I will be trying to fit in the next while I will be off to my studying.
Something neat my cousin started
I love these pictures my dad took of me and my mom at the beach when we all went looking for cool driftwood to mount my enamelled roadrunner on. I made the DFTBA shirt using sunpaint, paper cutouts, and leaves. There are little stars around the top, and lots of colour everywhere. It’s overall very cheery. My fast growing (NAT) photshop skills allowed us to both have our eyes open 😀 Back when I had more blue in my hair, and yet it is hardly visible.
This is a heartbreakingly beautiful photo set. The ache. The emotion.